Dec 20, 2021
Anders Larson, head of strategic finance at U.S. Bitcoin Corp, joins us to
talk about how miners make decisions and allocate capital. In this
- The Wharton class of 2018
- Are Bitcoin miners clogging up the chip supply chain?
- Why Bitcoin miners are 'tier 2' customers at foundries
- The scale of US BTC operations in terms of hashrate
- Why US BTC has been so quiet historically
- How US BTC targets renewable energy
- Which renewables are easiest to find
- Is there any truth to the story of Bitcoin improving the
economics of renewables?
- Why ASIC depreciation is slowing, and how that affects the
viability of different energy sources
- The relationship between Bitcoin's carbon intensity and ASIC
- Can ASICs last for 5 years?
- How does US BTC think about uptime on their units?
- Why lower uptime means that you have cheaper power due to
- How US BTC thinks about hashrate growth and why they are more
conservative than their competitors
- Why Chinese hashrate is not completely eliminated
- The state of affairs in Kazakhstan
- How Anders thinks about political risk in mining
- How policy logic informs selective mining bans and mining
- How Anders sees miners vertically integrating with energy
- How Anders thinks about proposed state bitcoin mining bans in
places like NY
- Why mining bans in the West are often counterproductive
- The relationship between energy consumption and civilizational
- How Anders thinks about the energy cost debate
- Whether the CBECI hashrate distribution estimates are
- Why the US having a large share of hashrate isn't something to
be concerned about
- How mining could become a states rights issue
- Does US BTC project fee growth in their models?
- Compass Mining is the
world's first and largest online marketplace for bitcoin mining
hardware, hosting, and ASIC reselling. Start mining your own
bitcoin by visiting compassmining.io
- This episode supported by Public.com. Start investing with as little as $1
and get a free slice of stock up to $50 when you
join Public.com today.
Visit public.com/onthebrink to
download the app and sign up.